B +ve

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

I am proud to be Indian because...

One friend asked me to complete this quote -

"I am proud to be Indian because..."

I was puzzled. Yes, I am proud to be Indian when I come across a Amartya Sen or a Viswanathan Anand, but 'pride' is not the singular or the most prominent feeling in me as Indian. Rather, I have mixed feelings of being an Indian...

I am insecure to be Indian - when I am a lone Bihari boarding a Mumbai train.

I am privileged to be Indian - when I see a Sub Saharan country having just above forty years of life expectancy.

I am victimized to be Indian - when I am one of the faces in the crowd i.e. when I am the 'stupid common man' of Wednesday.

I am indifferent to be Indian - when I think of disarmament, world government and world peace.

I am ashamed to be Indian - when I am an onlooker to that nun parading naked in Kandhamala, Orissa.

I am fortunate to be Indian - when I find me amidst challenges and see opportunity of life through them.

"Hey boss... you cant change the first part of the quote" - my friend clarifies as if he read my thoughts.

Well, what came out after some manipulation of indigenous thinking with consulted ideas was the following -

I am 'proud' to be an Indian because she 'humbles' me by her vastness, plurality, freedom, and the unique strengths of emotions and intelligence through the dark struggles of starvation and ignorance.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
 

-->