B +ve

Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Vegetable

In an uneventful afternoon I asked my son, who is his favorite animal.

- "Elephant, bapa...." (Bapa is Odia for Dad)

I looked at myself. Thanks to some early morning jogging at 10.00 am at my institute in Bangalore, I no more exactly resemble an elephant. I was not disappointed. Rather, I was happy for another reason. Elephant has been my favorite animal since childhood. I always wished like we have smaller version of tigers as cats... it would have been fun if we had smaller version of elephants, which we could have fondled and carried in our laps.

Seeing me lost in thoughts Vidwat pulled my hair. Children rarely understand it becomes habitual for fathers to find silence to be the most preferred options. I was critiqued to be not a good listener before marriage. I continued,

- "Viddu, what's your favorite bird?"

- "Peacock". Well my son has taste for beauty. Impressed.

- "What's your favorite fruit?"

- "Mango". Cool, that's the nation's favourite Katrina has been advertising for quite sometime.

- "Do you like it ripe or raw?"

- "Ripe... buddu bapa." Buddu is what my wife calls me claiming to be affectionate; our son has picked up that adjective. Children approaching five years of age learn a new word with every breathe.

- "What's your favourite flower?"

- "Sun flower". Good; But, frankly speaking I wished he had said rose... well, that might be the favorite of the eighties. Or may be there was time for him to fall in love with roses.

- "Well, Viddu, What's your favourite vegetable?"

- "Apple".

- "No, apple is a fruit."

- "Grapes".

- "No, grapes are not vegetable."

- "Then... Watermelon".

- "No, my dear... all these are fruits. I asked about vegetables. The one we eat regularly, they are leafy; they are of many variety."

- "O... noodles". He smiled with all the delight.

Well... I did not seek an explanation why he said noodles. May be there are many vegetable flavoured noodles in market nowadays. But this is worth a complaint to be put forward to his mom.

We continued; but I changed the topic.

2 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:34 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
 

-->